Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
birchbark, those tires are worth a shot since they exceed the ratings you need. I think the issue most of us have with STs is that most are made in China and even though the tires might be designed correctly for their ratings, I for one question the quality of the construction. Many tires including LTs are made in China, I just think there is better quality control with vehicle based LTs, than who-cares-about-trailers STs.

My tire issues in the past were Carlisles (on a prior old trailer, and this may have been an age issue) and I replaced these with Marathons. I believe back then the tires were manufactured in the U.S.A and highly regarded as a good tire on a rig under 10,000 lbs. The other time I had tire issues was several years later when the original Mission Tires that came with my new Monty started to bubble and separate within the second year of ownership, but I caught the problem in time while on a trip and replaced them all with what I thought were a better tire, Marathons.

I have since learned that these Marathon tires were made in China and being used on my trailer that is much heavier, larger and longer and this might aggravate them. There are many who have had problems with Marathons on their Monty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote