View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Leaving stick house

This will be our 6th year of wintering in FL. We typically leave in early Nov., to avoid the freezing rain and road salt. We turn our general thermostats to 51 F and turn off water pump and supply valve. We rely heavily on our WiFi system to garner information. I do have a standby generator equipped to handle the main operating systems of our home in the event of prolonged power outages. We have a Nexis thermostat that I can control with my smartphone and monitor temps. I can also operate some of our light switches the same way. I also installed a number of security cameras, some indoors that I can access via my smartphone. We have several friends that will watch our place and when snow accumulates, have a company that will plow and sand the drive. We take all of our tax info with us. We have the USPS forward our mail to our FL address or hold it if we're en route to some other destination. We furnish an entry key to a dedicated HVAC company/ in the event our furnace needs attention. We do not drain our water system simply because we have a hydronic heating system, although I do shut off the water supply valve to the furnace as well. Make sure you get a lot of things "tuned up" before you leave, like the furnace, and give instructions to the people checking on your home.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote