View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Next time you use a new water filter, DO NOT CONNECT IT WITHOUT RUNNING WATER THROUGH IT TO FLUSH THE CARBON OUT. These are carbon and a spun fiber material type filters, and prior to using one connected to your trailer, all the carbon fines need to be flushed, or you will, every time, get the black carbon fines in your water tank. You also probably do not need to use a new filter every time you go camping, as long as you put the plugs back in the filter when done camping. You also do not need to drain the water heater each time, it can be left full of water until you are done camping for the season.
Oops, I had no idea about putting the caps back on the filter when done. The filter we use is the Camco Taste Pure canister. Our last outing was to Middlebury, Indiana (Labor Day), the campground we stayed at, their water water smelled terrible and left a rusty looking stain on our hose apparently due to a small leak at the hydrant connection. Anyway last night preparing for our departure today, I was going to fill the water heater tank, I took the filter out of my storage tub and rusty water drained out of the filter. Needless to say, I threw it away and installed a new filter, then the black water appeared. As for draining the water heater tank each time, our dealer told us that if we experience bad smelling water, then it is probably due to stale water in the hot water tank and to eliminate the condition we should drain it after each outing.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote