Thread: Favor to Ask
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
In addition to possibly renting a unit to try it, take your friend fro a weekend trip in your rig ad have him do most the setup & tear down work to see if it is something he can handle.

Also as stated above, the auto leveling makes setup much easier and rentals won't have that perk. He'd be doing blocks under tires and such. I've seen some people doing 5vers with pretty limited mobility without any real problem. They are just a little slower working the process and they work a system. Had a person across from me recently who had a small step/stool he carried around to access the truck bed, step up to the awnings to adjust them, sit on if he had to do low work, and just took his time putting things away. Of course he had a Montana so he was obviously smarter than the average camper
I'm 69. Broke my back in 1968, paratrooper knees, and arthritis found a lot of places to settle in. Bought an F350 in 2016 to pull the Cougar. Traded the Cougar on a Montana this year. Yes, I have the folding step stool, needed to put/remove the lock from the hitch. I have a boat hook in the pass through to reach things in there and truck bed too. All 6 legs get a 2x8 and plastic levelers if really unlevel before hitting auto-level. I put a reel in the pass through to help with the anaconda. Awning is power, no problem. Set-up generally leaves the sewer connection for day 2. Not sure if it makes any difference but this is 43' long. It may take me a few minutes longer, but it all gets done. Where I have difficulty is in backing as my neck and back have a very limited range in turning. I need assistance from someone that can help from no farther back than truck doors. So far it works every time. I found less problem with the 5er than a class A and toad. Not just less expensive, but a hell of a lot less in every way. There are some maintenance issues that most can do that I need a tech for ~ frustrating at times but it is what it is.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote