View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ray: Since you asked -- on the SRW Dodge, the axle, brakes, everything is the same between the 2500 and the 3500 SRW except for that one single spring leaf. That said, my comments had to do with legal beagles and registrations -- realize I have a 3500DRW but since my combined weight (vehicle and trailer) is over 12K pounds, I had to register at 20K; more money to the state. If I kept it at 12K I would save 140 per year in fees but my insurance company (agent) told me that if I should ever get into an accident while pulling the 5er I could be found in excess of my registered weight -- could lead to problems down the road with insurance, etc... Didn't say I would, said I could. Told me that they went by what was on the door label as to Gross. I've read similar on other forums and in other posts.

Now all that said -- I'm looking at beefing up my 5er axles, wheels, etc. from 6K to 7K; not because I carry that much load but because I think they are too close to the limits. Give me a little extra cushion. I'm a believer in the glass is half empty scenarios -- in that vein - I think adding the extra leaf, heavier duty tires, etc., to your TV is a good thing. Nuff said on my part. Safe camping and hope to see you out there at the camp sites!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote