View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Tennessee Ticket Scam?

Last month we were coming south and tried a different route between Paducah and Birmingham. Generally we just take I-24 to Nashville and then I-65 down. However we visited friends in Paducah and they suggested we check out taking US 45/45E south from Paducah to US 64 East to I-65 south. They explained that this would allow us to avoid Nashville plus it was a scenic drive if we wanted to use it for our RV at a later date.

They were right about it being a scenic drive. It took longer but in the RV we are never in a hurry anyway so we were thinking this could be one of our favorite future routes. They warned us about unmanned speed cameras in some of the small towns. I did notice a ton of speed limit changes, some of which did not make any sense, but we were not in any hurry and didn't think anything of it.

After being home for a couple of weeks we got a speeding ticket in the mail. 65 in a 55 along with a photo of the back of my vehicle. Of course if you mail it in right away they only charge $50.00. If you want to come back for court it will be a lot more.

When I talked to my friend about it he explained that some of the small towns can't afford to hire police officers so they have private companies set up the speed cameras and it generates a little extra revenue for them.

I'll try the route once more when we go north in the RV. I'll set my GPS up with a 1 or 2mph over speed warning plus watch extra close. I guess I'll wait and see if it happens again.