View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Some people think Geocaching is "dumb and a waste of time" while others enjoy it as a great outdoor activity. Like a previous poster, I started Geocaching in 2002, and currently have 11,550 finds and have hidden about 210. I have found caches in Russia, Germany, Norway, Latvia, Estonia, Great Britain, Norway, The Netherlands, and more. I have also found caches in about half the states of the Unites States. Most caches today are small containers with a log book inside. You find it, sign the log, replace the cache, and then log onto GEOCACHING.COM to make a log/note on the cache page for that particular cache. Currently, there are over 3,000,000 active caches on our planet and there is an average of about 6,000,000 logs written each week. Since it started, there have been nearly 21,000,000 Caching Accounts created. You don't "win" at it any more than you can win at coin collecting, stamp collecting, hiking, camping or any other list of hobbies/sports/activities. The goal is in the DOING, and not the WINNING. One of my first caches took me to a Plaque that was placed on the spot where the Train Robbery scene was filmed for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." I would have never knows about the spot, in Durango, CO, without Geocaching. And for unusual caches, there is a Geocache on the International Space Station, there is a Geocache in a decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant, there is a Geocache on Mt. Everest, and many more unusual places. You can SCUBA dive for some, other's require rock climbing, some require multi day hikes/backpacking, and some maybe in the parking lot of the near by Wal Mart. Find 2 or 3, and see if you enjoy the "hunt." Because that is what is all about!
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote