View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #66
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Don't know if this works for everybody, but where I live the local dump has scales that you have to weigh in and out to determine how much you left at to dump. We pay a fee according to the weight. If you have a similar situation go do this.

Take your truck there ( loaded for your heaviest trip) with whatever passengers will be in the truck and truck full of fuel.

Explain to the attendant what you are trying to do and hand them a sheet of paper with this written on it.

Trucks front axle
Trucks front & rear axle (whole truck)

Get them to write the #s down as you position the truck.

Now go get your trailer (loaded for your heaviest possible trip) and take it there with the truck loaded with the same stuff and hand them a sheet of paper that says.

Trucks front axle
Trucks front and rear axle
Whole truck and trailers front axle
Both truck axles and both trailer axles together. (whole rig)

Again get them to write down the weights as you position the rig.

From these weights you can do the math and determine what all your REAL weights are.

Total truck weight hitched up
Total weight on trucks rear end (pin weight)
Weight of the campers front axle
Weight of campers rear axle
Total weight on camper axles.
Weight of the entire rig.

The only thing you will not be able to determine is the weights of each individual wheel position which is very important for the camper. If you can get each wheel position weights you would be surprised at the #s.

For example here are my camper wheel position weights from the only time I was able to get them individually.

Drivers front 2740 lbs
Drivers rear 3400 lbs
Passenger front 3300 lbs
Passenger rear 2920 lbs

As you can see the #s are vastly different which is part of the reason why so many people are having trouble with blow outs with the junk ST tires that come on a lot of units ( A whole other issue I know)

On this weigh in here are other weights
Whole truck with trailer 12100 lbs Trucks max is 13025 lbs
Both trailer axles 12360 lbs Trailers max axle weight 14000 lbs
Pin weight 2768 lbs 18.3% of trailer weight
Total trailer weight 15128 lbs Trailers max weight 15560 lbs

Sorry for the long post but these #s are very important to know or at least have an idea what they are loaded as heavy as you can possibly be.

Truck 2014 GMC 3500 Crew cab long bed dually.
Camper 2011 3455sa Montana
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote