View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What Jan said, including those with tire business experience will likely be along shortly. There was a brief period, several months to a year, where Montanas came from the factory with LT tires. I understand RVIA changed their rules to say that to get their sticker the trailer has to be supplied with trailer-rated tires. I don't know if that's true but that's what I was told by a Keystone person a year or so ago.

As for legal, I've never seen anything saying an LT tire is not legal for trailer use. Nothing at all. The assumption in that is that the tire has the proper weight ratings. And so long as the LT tires are rated for the weight carried they should perform just fine. I will make an *educated guess* that the potential with LT tires because the LT tire has less stiffness in the sidewall than does an ST tire, it's possible to pull the tire off the bead during a very sharp slow speed turn, such as turning into or out of an rv site, and thus cause a loss of air pressure. Maybe even enough to flatten the tire. But I've never had that happen nor have I heard of it happening although that does not mean it has not happened to someone. That said, keep in mind I'm just talking from my personal experience and NOT from the viewpoint of a tire engineer. We ran BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT tires on our prior Montana (a 2003 3295RK). And this one has Goodyear G614 LT tires although these GY G614 tires are designated as For Trailer Use Only tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote