View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 08:06 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There seem to be a lot of opinions on this topic. In the past we bought one used and three new. The used one was a beater originally purchased for weekend fishing trips. It had some problems, especially some wood rot. I personally would shy away from a used unit built with a wood frame unless a thorough check convinced me there is no wood rot. If it has a wood frame eventually it will rot. It may be in the floor, it may be in the ceiling, it may be around windows. It may be anywhere.

But the Montanas have aluminum frames, top, bottom, and sides. So that's no longer a big concern to me.

If you decide to go used, I'd look for a private sale. Montana is the number one seller in North America for the past five years. Dealers know that and price used rigs at a premium. Private sales might get a much better deal.

Another thing you may not know is you can get a pretty darn big discount on a new one from a dealer. If your dealer won't discount big time, walk away and find another dealer. We got 20% off just by telling the salesman up front we want 20% off the sticker price we were looking at (be sure you see the sticker first so he doesn't jack it up on you.) He immediately said "OK". There are members in this forum reporting discounts as high as 30% with a little negotiation. It's certainly worth a try.

The other reason to buy used is if you find a deal that better fits your budget. If that were the case and the rig was in outstanding condition then I'd seriously consider the used rig.

All the above are just my opinion. Good luck. I think a Montana is an excellent choice, new or used.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote