Thread: Furlough
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Furlough

The first thing you notice upon returning to the States after a year in Hong Kong is the size of the American people. Huge in comparison. Dianna and I sometimes feel like giants over here, but felt very normal in Texas.

Our eleventh grand child tried hard to be born while we were home, but to no avail. She just gave mom alot of false alarms, so we are still waiting. We did get acquanted with the tenth, a beautiful seven month old, born while we were in Hong Kong. Little Madeline seemed to enjoy pulling on grandpa's beard and smiling with pleasure.

Monty was in really good shape after a year of setting unused. Had a scare though. Tried to run the slides out. The bedroom slide opened and then all stopped. Nothing would move, lights dimmed, and grunting noises occurred. Fear and imagination began to work. Plugged in the 50 AMP anaconda -- still no movement. AArrrgggg!!!! Cash register began to ring in my head.

As it turned out, all I had to do was connect the battery. The slides won't operate without the battery being connected. Blood pressure down, slides worked perfectly. The A/C units cranked right up and cooled Monty down quickly. The Ford ran like a top. I put about a thousand miles on it and got 21-22 mpg on the road w/o the Monty.

The crickets, crows, and silences were coveted luxuries enjoyed at our home base site. Noise is always present in Hong Kong. We will be glad to return home sometime this year to fulltiming.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote