Thread: Exhaust Brakes
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Regarding Lee's comments above -- the 3rd Generation transmission up until the 2006 model year did not have a heavy enough spline to carry the load that the exhaust brake puts on the auto transmission. I had an 04.5 with the 48RFE (I believe that is the correct number) transmission and Dodge, Banks, Pacbrake, and others all were working on trying to get an exhaust brake out for it that didn't twist that spline and disable the vehicle. The 06 Dodges came out with the same transmission but a heavier spline and Dodge started installing the Jacobs exhaust brake as an aftermarker / dealer accessory. I traded my truck shortly after the 06s came out and the exhaust brake cost me 1200 installed.

A good friend of mine kept his 03 and had an aftermarket torque converter and transmission installed as he damaged his transmission with the exhaust brake. He has had no problems with any of it since upgrading the tranny combination. I don't know what it cost him but I do know it was not cheap.

Bottom line to my long post is that you need to make sure which transmission you have (has it been repaired / upgraded with the newer internal spline(s)) and then go from there.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote