Thread: Choosing a GPS
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This has been discussed here a number of times, use the search function and search the archives from the front page.

FIRST, welcome to the forum

Next, our experience is that we need a couple of different resources to run with Tana, we have the Garmin 2610, which after a major update of software,is now at least workable. Al did not mind pre-upload, but I had major disagreements with the entire thing.

We also use Microsoft Streets and Trips, I can plan the trip better on it, as the puter screen is larger and more "carol-friendly"

We also use: Trucker maps/atlases, they list the low underpasses. Also use, Exit Authority and there is a Trucker stop book (sorry, name escapes me) which lists truck stops along the major I-ways, but not the US highways.

By pre-planning the trip with Garmin or S & T, you can tell the thing, DON'T GO HERE, AVOID this area, etc.

Steve R. put a lot of us on to a web site with downloadable files for truck stops, walley worlds, all kinds of neat stuff you can add to S & T. (cannot seem to find the URL for this at the moment, someone will happen along with it)

Here is an interesting site, someone on MOC shared:

http://www.aitaonline.com/Low%20Clea...w%20Clearances

And, of course, we must remember, that what works for us, may not appeal to you, your way, might not work for us. Makes the world spin and keeps it interesting, eh??

Enjoy your retirement, your rig. OH, and thanks for serving the populace in your area as a police officer.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote