View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hope I'm not just stating the obvious, but the original question was not about parking the truck and trailer, but leaving the trailer and using the truck. Am I correct about this or not???

Anyway, my experience in that regard has been exactly as Charley's: we have left the RV in a large church parking lot (during the week, of course) with the permission of the pastor. The full story??? Well, I had been pastor of that church for several years not long ago. Still, I think that would be possible in most places---for anyone.

As to the other comments about parking, our experience has been as the others have stated. In smaller towns we can usually park on a side street. We have done so recently in Muenster, Texas while eating at a restaurant. No way we could park in the restaurant parking lot.

On that subject, that is the reason we so often stop in Cracker Barrell restaurants. They almost always have designated parking for RVs. Only problem there, we have found that sometimes autos take up those parking spaces. Hard to believe, but we have found that a couple of times.

Twice, I've gotten myself into a real bind. Once in Monroeville, AL we pulled into a large parking lot, but when we got in there were no places to park and no way to turn around. Barely got out by backing and by guidance from Shirley. Same thing happened in Georgia when we turned into a bank parking lot just to turn around (missed my highway). Looked good until I got in.... same story about getting out. Inches -- I mean inches -- to back and clear.

The obvious thing is we have to really look ahead and make some judgements before we can see the entire situation. Unless we are in an urgent need we just pass up any questionable stops.

Our few really close calls have usually had to do with missing a turn and needing desperately to turn around. Happened last in Taos, NM when we missed our turn into the RV park off a busy highway. Another really close call when we tried to turn around.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote