Thread: Power outage
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcolvin View Post
Put battery charger on and now have power. I had it stored with battery switch off. So, i guess batteries were completely dead. But, shouldn't it charge off of the converter?
You had it stored with the switch off, but did you turn it back on when connected to your shore power? If not, you have no power from the converter to the batteries, because with the switch in the off (open) position, power can not flow back to charge the batteries and you will not have 12 volts going to any of the circuits that are connected to the fuses in the main panel. There are two breakers on the wall behind the batteries, and one of them feeds the 12 volt circuits that do not come out of the main panel, and the other breaker, at least on the rigs with hydraulic systems, feeds both the hydraulic pump as well as the 12 volt portion of the main panel, so that 12 volt line feeds the panel as well as feeding the batteries from the converter. That battery switch, instead of having On and Off, should really have Open and Closed for labels, Open when the switch key can be removed and Closed when the key is turned where it can not be removed. We have full timed for over five years and I have not yet had a need to turn the key for any reason.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote