View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I also did what Twindman did. We do not have any 6v batteries, but I do have a wet cell and an AGM battery installed at the same time. The switch allows me to isolate either side or as was stated turn everything off to prevent drawdown of charge by hidden electrical drains in the newer models (remote panel among one). When charging, due to the nature of the differences, it is advisable to charge one, then the other, unless you can remain hooked up for charging throughout the charging life of both batteries (The AGM will pull the charge first and will fully charge before the wet cell will, and I would assume your configuration would act in a similar manner). At least that is my understanding of how they work together on a charger at the same time.
Bingo
Bingo,
Have you had this type of setup for any length of time? I've had a lot of experience with wet cell batteries and presently use two 12-volt Lifeline D8 (AGM) batteries connected in parallel. They've been in use for a little over eight years now and still going strong. The fact that the AGM battery charges faster than the wet cell battery would deter me from hooking the two different types of batteries to my system.

One of the main reasons I went away from the OEM wet cell batteries is because I mounted my inverter in the battery compartment and that's a no-no according to Xantrex. Plus, I don't have to add water!!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote