View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Only a scale can give you the real number, and you won't get that until you tow the RV to a scale, period! So what is one to do?

For planning purposes, you can obtain the GTWR (Gross Trailer Weight Rating) from the label affixed to the driver's side front corner of the rig or inside one of the kitchen cabinet doors and multiply that number by .25 which would give you the 25% prospected worse-case weight. It is estimated that anywhere from 18% to 25% of the gross weight is what is carried at the pin for a residential fifth wheel RV (others say 15% for fifth wheels, but residential FWs carry a lot of extra weight at the pin due to their size). My rig is at less than 20%, but I don't full time (load it up), have a generator, use 40# propane bottles, a second A/C or have other items carried at the front that would easily ramp up the pin weight percentage.

Then make sure your TV can support this calculated pin weight, plus the weight of any cargo, the hitch, etc. that can add to the weight of the rear axle, not just at the rear axle but the TV's gross weight, too. Unfortunately on the real weight at a scale will provide your actual numbers.

Just a precaution, but my 3/4 ton diesel couldn't tow my '06 legally because of the pin weight (at over 19%). But a 2002 might weigh less even if it was the heavier Big Sky RV. Reality can be a real eye opener even with planning. Remember that it's more than a big diesel engine, matching trans, brakes, wheels and tires that tow a rig, so pineranch's statement about legal and live with are things to keep in mind along with the other responses above. By asking this question, it sure seems like you have the right mindset.

Best luck to you!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote