Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My rules of the road:
  • Check pressure every time you pull
  • Check side walls and tread for any irregularities
  • Drive 60 MPH or less
This has been my protocol from the beginning. I am not saying this is the perfect way of RVing. Do what you wish. We are full timers, so we put many miles on our rig and have covered 45 of the 48 contiguous states and parts of eastern and western Canada.

My 2003 Big Sky had General tires. Two of them failed, one on each side, causing over $5,000 damage to the coach. I caught the other two in failure before they actually blew out. I replaced the "E" rated tires with "G" rated tires made in China. Same result, tread separation and failure.

When we traded for our 2008 Big sky, I used the OEM Missions for about 3,000 miles and replaced them with Goodyear G614 tires. I also added a tire pressure monitoring system. The TPMS won't keep you from tire failure, but if you do, It may keep you from beating the side of your rig up with a blown tire. On our blowouts, we did not hear it or feel it.

Now I am four years and many miles down the road, having crossed the USA several times. The G614 tires look good with no crazing on the sidewalls and even wear on the tread. The way my rig is loaded, I run them at 105 psi from a cold start.

Did I want to spend the extra money for the G614 tires? No! Am I sorry I did? NO!! Since I carry a higher deductible on my insurance, I figure I have come out about even on the cost and am way ahead on the confidence and peace of mind. That's my experience. Do what seems best for you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote