Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #25
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Dfb what do you me mean? I think you have that backwards. 50 amp going to a 30 amp could over heat the wiring because there is the potential for to much current. You can just about alway oversize wire and run less amperage with no problems. Kind of like plugging your 50 amp cord into an 30 amp adapter and only drawing 30 amps through the cord. Usually you go to higher voltage to run more power through smaller wire. That is why the transmission lines are such high voltage and use fairly small wire.

Tom Marty
I have a 200 amp service to my home. If I only use one outlet rated at 15 amps this is ok. However, if I uses all 15 amps at that outlet the outlet and cord get warm to hot... this is how fire starts..We are rated for 50 amp service in our Montana...this is for 2 ac units, fireplace, waterheater. If I put the 30 amp adapter on and plug into 30 amp service, I can trip breakers due to excessive current flow.. I have had the 30 amp cord get very hot at times. It all depends on what YHE circuit is designed for.. you can draw 30 amps from 50 amp service, but cannot draw 50 amps into a circuit designed for 30 amps... 50 is 6000 watts, 30 is 3600 watts..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote