View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #17
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OTR10, My son is a CHP in California, and he was the one that told me "after" I bought the longest and heaviest Montana at the time last year. He said I'm pretty sure you will need to get a Non-commercial Class A license because it has a GVWR over 15k and is longer than 40 feet. I am at 17k and 41-1/2 feet with the Legacy addition to the standard 3820FK which is 40' 9 " I told him he was crazy, but as I went to the DMV and investigated, low and behold my son was right! So I called the dealer in Reno and chewed them out since they knew I was from California by one mile in North Shore Lake Tahoe, and then I called another dealer in Roseville, CA and played like I was going to buy one from them, and they said there are no restrictions? I said are you sure, and he said he was positive, so I gave him my e-mail address to send me the details, and he never did. These salesmen just want to make the sale, and let the poor buyer deal with these issues. My son said he and his fellow CHP officers would "never" pull over a 5th wheel, unless they were doing something real stupid like 10+ mph over the speed limit, etc. So since I usually head out thru Nevada to go on my trips, I will just be a criminal in 1 state out of 50, ridiculous!!