View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Hitch receiver on Montana

Our 3150 RL Montana came with a 1.25 inch receiver for a bike carrier on the back of our 3150RL. Our current bike carrier slides into a 2 inch receiver, so I was thinking of having a 2 inch receiver welded to the bottom of the 1.25 receiver. I called Keystone Customer Service and they told me the weight restriction on the 1.25 receiver is 200 lbs. The Customer Service guy told me I could buy an adapter that converts the 1.25'' to 2'', but it also extends the length, which also then makes my bike carrier and bikes heavier. I also have a small metal carrier that slides into a 2'' receiver that I would like to to carry firewood, etc. I don't think anything that I would put on the hitch would exceed the 200 lbs.

When I asked the Customer Service guy if I could weld the 2'' receiver on the bottom of the 1.25'' receiver he said that since I own the trailer I could do anything I want, but it might void the frame warranty. I guess he wanted to cover his but in the event I started carrying excessive weight on the back of the Monty.

Does anyone have a hitch receiver on their Montana, and has anyone changed it from a 1.25'' to a 2'' receiver, and if so what did you do? How did it work out?

We appreciate your opinion.

Regards,

David
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote