View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
According to Ford specs, the F350 4x4 bed is 3" higher than the 4x2. And the 2018 is about 1.5" higher than my 2012.

I think the prevalence of 4x4 on dealer's lots has more to do with profit than what the customer wants. Here, for every 4x2 on the lot there are 8-10 4x4 (excluding basic work trucks). Although they will order anything you want, most buyers want it now, not 8 weeks to order one. And they are more likely to buy that shiny higher price tag fully loaded 4x4 sitting on the lot even though they likely will hardly use 4x4. Rarely get enough ice/snow here to justify one. And yet I, as well as most others on the road, have one due to the fact of availability.
I agree that newer trucks are taller. Or maybe I am getting older?

In our area we don’t get much snow either and I would not tow in snow if at all avoidable. We do however have rain and related MUD. You never know when an UNEXPECTED rain shower will pop up and cause an issue pulling out of a campsite

My old adage holds true. Buy 4x4 for the same reason you wear a seat belt for the UNEXPECTED.

But for us we also buy it because we pursue sports and work (kayaking, fishing, hunting plus a farm) that take us into wet areas.

Dealers stock what sells and that is 4x4 around our neck of the woods
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote