View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Eddie, Sorry to hear about your mishaps with your Monty. However, it makes me feel a little better. You had an excuse, the anesthesia, and the DW. Myself, my bad luck wasn't due to anesthesia or the DW. I'm kinda of embarrassed to tell my mishaps. Anyway, here goes! We had just purchased our Monty on the 11th Feb. and went camping on the 19th. While there we noticed several small warranty issues with the Monty that needed taken care of. So when we returned home, I called the dealer that Monday, and he said bring it on over. Once I was at the dealer, the service department told me to unhook it right where I was parked in their lot. While in the prosess of getting the landing gear down, unplugging the electric plug from the TV, a couple walked up and started talking to me about how well I like my Monty, and as I came out from under the Monty, I closed the tail gate of the truck. After talking to the couple, I jump in the TV and pulled forward. Well, you know the story after that! I destroyed my tail gate to the tune of $1381.00 for a new one.
Now, we aren't done yet. When the dealer called me to pick the Monty up, it was pouring down rain, and I started to tell them that I would wait for a nicer day to come get it, but then I thought, well at some point in time I'll get caught in the rain, so I might as well get use to pulling it in the rain. So I called the DW and told her that it was ready to pick up, and I was going to get it. She asked if I was sure I could back it into the driveway without her spotting for me. Well I told her, the only problem I was concerned about was a small oak tree on the right side of the driveway when backing in, and I asked her how far had I been missing that three when she had spotted for me before. She told me I had about five feet of clearence. So I told her I could do it because I knew just where to put the left tires of the Monty to get into the driveway. Now Don't jump the gun, I know what you are thinking! (he hit the little oak tree) Wrong!!!! I got in the driveway just perfect. Now picture this. I have a 102 foot driveway, with a 22 foot wide pad in front of the garage, then on the other side of the pad, I have a 14' X 41' pad to park the Monty on. So that's 165 feet of backing, right. Well, everything was going just fine. I was backing using my mirrors to keep the Monty centered on the 14" wide pad, and not thinking how long I am. All of a sudden I felt a slight bump, and realized I had backed into the big oak tree at the end of the pad. Oh! you can't imagine how sick I was. I only had a six inch crack in gel coat on the uppper left corner of the Monty, but that tore me up. Anyway, I got it repaired for $450.00, and you can't tell it ever happened.
Those two incidents have woke me up. I stop and think about everything I'm doing, check things twice, and don't let anythng or any body distract me when hooking up or unhooking and backing. Oh! well, lesson learned the had way, I guess....Joe
BTW, that big oak tree at the end of the pad, is no longer there!!!
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote