View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

None of my new bolts would seat all the way even when pounding on them. The nuts did bottom out on the bolts though. I put them in from the inside so the hanger had a clean hole with no knurl marks on it. I did see the hanger brackets bow in slightly when tightening the nuts. After I pull the trailer a bit, I'll check the bolts again to see if they set. By keeping the grease holes at 3 or 9 o'clock, I was able to get grease in all the bolts. I did pre-grease the bolts to make sure there were no burrs or obstructions in them before I installed them.
OK, since you seem like a nice guy, I'll tell you how to get them to seat all the way...

These are shoulder bolts, which as you have discovered keep the nut from going far enough to draw the bolt serrations all the way in. There are a couple of ways to overcome this.

Get a washer or two that are big enough to slide over the body of the bolt and either use one of the old nuts, or buy a regular 7/16 fine nut, so you don't wear out the friction nuts. Remove the friction nut, put the washer(s) on and use the old nut to tighten and draw the bolt in tight. Then replace the friction nut. I would recommend using blue Loctite - but be forewarned, the stuff isn't cheap!

Another way would be to use a large "C" clamp and a socket large enough to fit over the already installed friction nut. You need a heavy duty "C" clamp though. One with a hex head is ideal if you have an air impact wrench. After drawing the bolt in, don't forget to retorque the nut!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote