View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We made a trip to New Brunswick from Ontario a few years ago, covered much of the same territory. At the time we were advised to take route 20 south and west of Montreal. Route 40 takes you through a tunnel under the St Lawrence. From what I have been told, this is not a fun trip with a big trailer behind, although it can be done, and truckers do it regularly. From 20 you can get onto 540 and then 40 which will take you into Ontario and highway 417. I have never taken the northern route on 17. It is certainly shorter, but the route through Algonquin Park is more scenic. There is a Flying J at exit 3 off 540 just west of Montreal.

Don't forget that most people in Quebec speak French, and the road signs are all in French, although the symbolic ones are the same. A few French words like Nord, Sud, Est, and Ouest are useful to know, "Exit" is "Sortie". New Brunswick is fully bilingual, so you will see signage in both languages, which will serve as an introduction to the French words.

Fundy National Park is great and you should try to visit Hopewell Rocks and some of the small fishing villages along the Bay of Fundy and Northhumberland Strait. Alma is supposed to have the highest tidal range in the world. Try some seafood, lobster if in season.

I am pasting below, a message I wrote a couple of years ago in response to a similar request. It contains some campground information.

Old post follows:
Here are some places we have stayed along your route. All are quite adequate and have at least some sites big enough for your rig. If you don't already have it, I would suggest that you get a campground directory such as Trailer Life or Woodalls.

Port Huron, MI: Lakeport SP
East side of Toronto: Darlington PP
Morrisburg, ON: Riverside-Cedar campsite (Parks of the St Lawrence)
Near Montreal, QC: Camping Allouette (Private) St Mathieu de Beloeil, QC
Riviere-du-Loup: Camping Chez Jean (Private) St Antonin, QC. (Private) (also Camping Municipal de la Pointe, in Riviere-du-Loup - have not stayed there but friends say it is good)
Near Fredericton NB: Hartt Island RV Resort (Private) (We did not actually stay at this one either, but had picked it out a possible stopping point)
Bouctouche NB: Bouctouche Baie Chalets et Camping,

Fuel: Will be more expensive in Canada. There are Flying Js off highway 401 at London, ON, Napannee, ON (Bill and Ann's home town), and in Quebec just west of Montreal. East of Montreal, you can look for "Big Irving" stations as being similar to Flying Js.

I don't know Montreal or Quebec well enough to give any detailed information. MOC members Ormee & Ginette live in Montreal and may be able to help you. Ottawa is a very nice city to visit, and has a good campground called "Ottawa Municipal Campground" (no sewer though).

If you go to Niagara Falls, there is a KOA in Niagara Falls, but it is quite expensive. If you just want to do a day trip, you might be as well to stay at Milton, ON and take a drive over to the Falls.

In Ontario, the 400 series highways are pretty much like U.S. Interstates, they will get you where you are going quickly, but you will miss a lot of scenery along the way.

Enjoy the ride! Wish were doing the same trip!
Thanks for the info. I had to laugh when you told about the folks in Quebec speaking French. Years ago my wife and I went to a highly rated restaurant in Montreal and every one was speaking French. There was a young fellow sitting at an adjacent table and overheard us speaking in English. Turned out that he was an American, was engaged to the daughter of the owner and that we both worked for the same company. All of a sudden, everyone was speaking English!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote