Thread: Winter Camping
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #15
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Steve:
Sorry it has takened so long to reply back - we had went out of State for a few days and hadn't been on the MOC website since we left.
I wasn't aware that the Montana had a furnace vent to the underbelly -
this answers how you can keep the pipes and fresh water from freezing, providing it doesn't get down in the teens and stay there for sometime. If and when we do some winter camping, we will have to look at purchasing a electric heater. I see some are now purchasing the electric-ceramic heaters. I wonder which is the most efficient - the traditional electric heaters or the ceramic ones.
I agree that if the electricity is furnished at no additional price, it is wise to use it heat instead of the propane.
It would have been nice if Montana had provided a furnace vent in the basement area also. Without one, I definitely would wrap the pipes there just as you did.
I have already used spray foam on the underbelly, but did it to keep out the vermin hopefully.
Yes this definitely helps us out with very useful information and gives us more confidence that we can do it if and when we make that decision or if we had too.
Where are you camping at now? It sounds like it is somewhere on the same level as Chicago or maybe even somewhat north of it. We are in central michigan just west of Lansing.
Can I ask a stupid question? If you are, as I believe I have heard that you're fulltiming it now, why not go further south where the weather is warmer and not have to worry about the cold and then return when the weather improves up north? I sure you have good reasons - Just curious.
Thanks again for taking the time to furnish all the information Steve. We really appreciate your time and ideas.

Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote