View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hi Gay,

I'm going to assume the VIP211Z is hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, the TV has the proper HDMI input selected, and the dish has a clear un-obstructed view of the southern sky. To verify this, with the receiver green light on and the TV on, there should be some type of a display on the screen, not necessarily a satellite video. If that is not the case, that's the first problem to solve, correctly connecting the receiver to the TV.

Once you have the above working and you have a message about not being able to receiver a satellite signal you need to make sure the receiver has a good connection to the winegard dish. The first test is to hook a coax directly from the dish to the "satellite in" connection on the back of the receiver (run it through the door or a window). Now, unplug the receiver from the AC, wait 10 seconds and plug back in. In about 15 minutes you should be receiving a satellite channel. If this works (and I'm betting it will), it verifies all the hardware and connections to the TV are working correctly.

The next test is to hook the coax from the dish to the "Satellite Living Room" connection in the convenience center (where the water connections etc are located) and then connect another coax from the "Satellite" connection behind the Living Room TV to the VIP211 "Satellite In" connection. Now, do the power down, wait and turn back on like above.

If the coax in the trailer between the convenience center and the TV is good (I'm betting it is not) you should once again have a satellite picture in about 15 minutes. If you don't have a picture, the coax in the trailer or its connections is bad.

Keystone has been known to use a very low quality coax for this connection that has too much signal loss for the length of the run. I have this problem in our 2015 3160 and I know of several others that have had this issue as well. Short runs like the convenience center to the bed room seem to work ok most of the time.

The solution is to either replace the entire coax in the trailer (a major pain and requires removing the belly covering of the trailer) or put a shorter cable from the TV to the outside of the trailer.

Here's what I did, I ran a coax from the VIP211 directly through the bottom of the living room slide to the outside that hangs down a short distance. This is where I connect the coax from the dish. Be sure to keep the coax connection covered when not in use and while traveling to avoid getting it dirty.

Hopefully this will locate and correct the problem. If not you can PM me if you have more questions.

Happy viewing and traveling!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote