View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Coincidence--Last Friday, we finally tackled lighting the Blaze King Catalyst Stove (with an automatic fan) in our new house. We've used Blaze Kings before, but this is the first time we've owned a brand new one. The lengthy installation/instruction booklet, a lot of it focused on avoiding damage to the catalytic converter, is typed using single spacing on 8.5" x 11" paper and is 48-pages long (actually, since it's typed on both sides of the pages, it amounts to 96 pages of reading). With very few diagrams, all those cautions and instructions were more than a little intimidating.

The instructions say that until the stove reaches a full burn for 30 minutes or so, the fan will not start; it's operated using an on/off switch and then a thermostat controls it. We turned on the fan switch, set the fan speed to match the thermostat on the stove, just like the instructions said to do, and then we waited . . . and waited . . .and nothing. So, back through the book, back to all the controls on the stove . . . still, nothing. I gave up for the evening and enjoyed the fire and warmth we had from the stove without the fan.

At 3:18 AM (hate those digital clocks), one of those "Aha!" moments awakened me. To operate a fan, you have to have power. To get power, you have to plug something in, meaning there was a cord somewhere. Five minutes later, power cord unearthed from where it was wrapped up tight and tucked into a little indention behind the stove (black stove, black cord, old eyes--missed it earlier), we had blast-off!

Carolyn

PS: As I write this (11:00 AM), the temperature is -16. We're having a heat wave compared to the weather during the last 36 hours.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote