View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, do you have more info on that? I have Streets and Trips 2005 and it does not have voice prompts. I'd love to have S&T with voice prompts.

Zzuroweste1, welcome aboard. There are several very workable solutions for you. I have been using the DeLorme Earthmate and Street Atlas (now version 2005) for several years and have been very happy with it. Street Atlas is a bit daunting to learn but is very powerful once you learn where everything is and how to use it. I stay with this package because I like having the voice speak up and tell me to turn right on Main St. in 1.3 miles. Then it tells me again, and then it tells me 'turn righ on Main St, approaching NOW." If your laptop also has a microphone you can program it to accept voice commands from you. Like, "next turn" to get the info by voice or "show next turn" to have the display show details of the next turn. I don't have a microphone so I use the keyboard to get that info (alt-f5 for show next turn and f5 for voice next turn, for example.)

Some folks prefer a handheld gps. I think some of those can be interfaced to display the map on a laptop. Maybe someone else here can help on this.

I prefer the interface of Streets and Trips, however, There are some other things I prefer in Street Atlas and some other things I prefer in Streets and Trips. If Streets and Trips had voice prompts I'd try that again because I like it's easier interface for route planning. But Street Atlas still better meets my needs for trip tracking. I guess I'm not much help here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote