View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Pin box bike rack mount

I am posting this at the request of Woodworker for more details of the pin box mount I made. Here is the procedure I used and some more pics.

I bought a 12" receiver tube at Harbor Freight (also available at trailer supply stores). I already had some 2"x2" angle iron laying around. Since I already had angle iron available the total cost was about $20 for the receiver tube.

I inserted the bike rack into the receiver tube and held it up in front of the trailer to see approx how long the side arms would need to be for the bike rack to clear the front of the trailer. Then I cut those 2-3" longer than I thought I needed and drilled holes in them to match the pin box bolts. I mounted those arms to the pin box using the lower pin box bolts and leveled and squared them to each other. Then I cut the two cross members about 1/8" longer than the space between the arms to make it easier to install/remove the frame when I wanted. The bolts pull in any excess.

I put the rear cross member between the arms as far back as I could without it touching the top of the pin box, about 1/2" clearance and clamped it in place. Then I held the rack/receiver tube up again to see approx where the front cross member should be mounted. I clamped it in place and set the rack/receiver on top to verify the location and marked the side arms where to cut off the excess.

I removed the side arms and cut them to the marks I had made and reinstalled them and clamped the cross members back in place. And again set the rack/receiver on top to verify clearance to the front of the trailer. When satisfied, I spot welded the frame members together. Then I removed the frame again and did a continuous weld on the underside of all the members and receiver.

Cleaned welds and painted and ready to go. No part of the frame touches the top of the pin box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch1.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	4514   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	4515   Click image for larger version

Name:	rackpic1.JPG
Views:	92