View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #26
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich,

The weight issue was significant to us since we are pulling our 3400RL with a F250. Prior to purchasing the 3400RL we had looked at many different units but had been especially impressed with a particular SunnyBrook model. I don't remember the model now. I'll admit we were pretty naive but it looked better built than some of the others we looked at and even better than the Montana. Knowing what we now know that may have been a figment of our imagination! :-) However, the reason we didn't buy that particular model of Sunnybrook was that it was over 2,000 lbs heavier than the 3400RL. Now after owning the 3400RL for a couple of years I am repeatedly stunned by the extreme weight of some of the interior items in the unit. The weight of the two recliners, the sofa bed and the 4 chairs is unreasonable. I just cannot figure out why such heavy items are needed. My cynical nature can only come up with the following reason: To reduce the pin weight since most of these items are in the rear! I sure hope I'm wrong on that. We have removed one of the recliners and one of the chairs to reduce weight and open up the living area a bit. We also have replaced the analog TV with an HD 32" LCD version saving probably over 100 lbs alone with a much better picture. We have also rotated the table 90 degrees to open up the aisle way to the living area a bit and can still seat 4 at the table. Casually we are looking for lighter weight and less bulky replacements for the recliners and sofa bed. The OEM sofa bed has been a real disappointment in that our guests have complained so much of its discomfort for sleeping we have gone to an air mattress. The sofa bed is heavy, bulky and uncomfortable. Other than that it's great!

But maybe someone can explain to me why Montana uses such heavy and bulky interior items and then builds the internal structure out of aluminum to save weight! I'm having real trouble with that anomaly.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote