View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ray fischer

I have 10 or 11 thousand miles on my load range e stock Tacoma's which Montana used before missions. I never hear any negatives on Tacoma's. Since they are almost 5 yrs old, although they look great, do I need to replace them. Trailer weight on axles as per scales is 9300 lbs, tires rated at 3195 each x's 4 =12,780 so I'm not close to overload. Please advise. Thanks, Ray
Ray, I had Tacoma's on my 04 2955 and after 3 years I never saw any kind of cracking. Unfortunately I traded in on an 07 and this rig came with the infamous Missions. I won't go into my feelings about the Mission rags.
The Tacoma's were quite possibly the best tires Montana (Keystone) ever used. WHY they switched to Missions, other than price, makes no sense to me. Back when we all had the LT Tacoma's you rarely saw a post complaining about them. As far as this forum, an old time tire guy such as myself was rarely commenting about tires. Than came Missions and since than Lonnie and I have been swamped with threads, Emails and PMs asking advice.
Anyway, at 5 years it would be advisable to keep a close watch for cracking. Fine little surface cracks are nothing to get excited about but when they begin to appear deeper than maybe you should start thinking about replacing.
If possible take them to a reputable tire shop for their professional advice. By "reputable tire shop" I AM NOT referring to the likes of Wal*Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, et al or your neighborhood garage who also happens to sell tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote