View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
With Recreation.gov and Reserve America being in the picture for several years … you have to reserve in the first or second week in January to even think about having a decent site for the 4th of July holiday at most any lake in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas … I consider you lucky to be able to reserve a holiday site only 3 weeks in advance. However … I feel your pain as we see what you talk of several times throughout the season as well. Most Corps campgrounds we frequent have a 24 hr policy … if you don't show within 24 hours of your first days checkin time … the site becomes available to first come first served. You just have to go to the camp host booth and ask if it's fair game yet. Some prime sites are not reservable and it isn't too well spelled out in the reservation systems, so you get mad not knowing. The locals know and snatch them up pretty quickly.
Guy,

We do our best to not be out over July 4th with all the crazies. We can do our reservations here 13 months in advance for state parks. When folks don't show, site become available after 24 hours. We also have lots of great open spaces for boondocking. I grew up in Missouri going to the lakes in the summer - lots of great memories but don't really miss the bugs or humidity.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"