View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Jeff and Sandy, I'm not trying to persuade you, but just to report: There are a couple of fine drives one can make along the North Rim where one can get out, and with very little walking, can see some fine views. These roads are not crowded and there are good pull-outs and viewing points. We had an exceptionally fine meal (without reservations) at the Lodge--I mean top notch food and service. The only problem there is that there is a good bit of walking to get from the parking lot down to the lodge, but I think one would find the same situation at the Lodge on the South Rim.

The greatest problem with the North Rim is that, unless you are visiting Zion, Bryce, etc. and coming from the north, it may require too much driving to reach.

The Kaibab plateau is forested with many pleasant meadows, entirely different in that respect from the geography of the South Rim. There are campgrounds in the park, but we made our plans too late to even try them, we stayed at a park near the highway. It required a pretty long drive getting down to the rim, but it put us on our way when we left.

All this in the interest of giving more of the picture, based on our recent experience (which did NOT include a visit to the South Rim, so we are making no recent comparisions).

Edit: I just realized that the North Rim closes sometime in the Fall... I do not remember the date, but that would certainly make the decision easy for anyone traveling later than that date.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote