Thread: Actual weights
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #36
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by millwright01 View Post
I used the weights posted on the RV, but I can’t remeber if the pin weight was posted there. I don’t think it was. I will have to check the new one. I couldn’t find the pin weight on any of the stickers in it. The pin weight is not required on any stickers. The wording in the standard says recommended/published.
The vehicle manufacturer MUST provide a published tongue/hitch weight. For them, their recommended hitch weight MUST be used when they certify the trailer as it leaves the factory. This is the math test they MUST pass: When the trailers total vehicle certified GAWR weight (s) of all axles are added to the recommended hitch/tongue weight for that trailer, the sum must not be LESS than the trailers certified GVWR.

Ref: 49 CFR 571.110 or 571.120.

I've personally done the math on numerous Keystone trailers at RV shows. The recommended hitch weights they provide will work in a perfect weight and balance situation.

The only time the trailer manufacturers hitch weight is valid is at the time of vehicle certification. Once you own the trailer the hitch weights are 100 % your responsibility.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote