View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have never had a A/C problem. We are getting the proper temps out of the A/C and good air flow the problem is these things are not all that well insulated. When at a rally in Shawnee,Ok the outside temp was 107 degrees this pretty Full Body paint Big sky with a lot of black and gray was sucking up the heat. We had outside sidewall temps of 121 degrees and inside wall temps of 90 degrees. IMO at temps of 100 degrees and above the A/C will not cool well.There is nothing wrong with the A/C it is just to hot.
I can see where a lot of dark colors on your RV would contribute significantly to overheating. Glad ours is mostly lighter sand colors. I guess there is a good reason boats are usually painted white.

So far our little AC test station has managed ok in the New Mexico desert. Direct sun and temps in triple digits for extended timeframes have really pushed everything to its limits. We can now verify that if the temp stays below 95F we can keep the unit below 74F with just the two OEM roof AC units. Once it reaches 95 you have to kick on a third unit to hold the temp down to a reasonable level. At 105 we are still holding at about 79 with three units. Basically two units will hold the unit 20F below outside temp and three will hold it 25F below. I think that is about the best anyone could hope for. Of course our performance is likely being helped by the very low humidity in the desert. I suspect folks in Florida would not see the same results. But then again anywhere you can find some shade will help.

Just out of curiosity and being a science geek, I wonder which has the largest impact on AC performance, Shade or humidity. And exactly how much of an impact for each?

Fortunately the temps peak about 2-4pm in the afternoon and then drop back off. Basically we turn on the third AC when we leave for work and turn it off when we get home. It is really more of a backup to protect our pups....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote