View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have recently had some issues with the converter so researched up on this topic

First I am very surprised if you don’t have two batteries. When you can afford to upgrade go with two AGM batteries hooked together (positive to positive and negative to negative). Even with that probably only get about 4 hours run time when off grid and not plugged into running truck.

Try completely disconnecting batteries at terminals and charging just to make sure they are not issue. Testing with a load style battery tester ($20 at Harbor Freight) will verify

You said that you unplugged the inverter? Do you mean you turned off switch from battery or disconnected the 12volt lead at inverter? The 110 volt plug on the unit is the outlet going too the fridge. Unplugging that does not turn inverter off and even without a load it will still draw power. There should be a switch and 150amp fuse near battery that does turn off inverter. Since we never boom dock and most of our trips are short we just leave inverter switched off.

However the 110 volt plug is good place to test the inverter. A volt meter ($10 at Harbor Freight or Wal Mart) is a good investment but you can just use a lamp

Between the 110 plug in and the wall socket for fridge is a metal box with a shore power detector. There could be an issue there and relay is not switching to Shore power to feed fridge. Testing that isn’t hard but it does require a bit of expertise.... You should have power to fridge when on shore power even with completely dead batteries!! One other possibility is that the 110 volt circuit breaker for fridge has tripped so check that first.

The Converter that came on ours was a 60amp WFCO. I got really bad reviews on here and elsewhere on that brand. I’m going with a 80amp Progressive Industries 9200 series which comes highly recommended. Before we install it though going to get a good Surge protector for our Shore power!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote