View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Fifth Wheel Finishing

I'm spending the Labor Day weekend in a fabulous campground, Hidden Valley RV Resort (Milton, WI). If you're anywhere near southwest Wisconsin it's worth a detour to get a site in this spotless campground that is more like a park than a campground.

As I look around, I'm drooling over the finish on the motor coaches. They're all painted, mostly darker tones, and there is nary a white one in the bunch. Virtually all the TTs and 5th wheels are boring white with stick on decals (or partially stuck graphics in my case). It's as if the coaches are taking on a more up to date type of finishing, akin to automobiles, while the TTs and fivers are stuck on white, sort of like the model airplanes of the fiftys (at least they were gray plastic).

It occurs to me that it should be possible to get a paint job ($$$$ :>{) that would bring my rig into the 21st century. Rather than goofing around replacing decals with new flaky decals why couldn't painting be an option?

Has anybody investigated this? Any ideas on what kind of finish or cost? I would expect you would wan't to use a two part finish. I know of people who've done this on fiberglass (gelcoated) boat hulls with great success but I've never heard of it being done on a trailer.

Update:....

It also occurs to me that my 'graphics' are predominantly uncompensated advertising and branding for my manufacturer. Coaches have far more subdued branding, you have to look for it in most cases or you'll miss it. So if I were to paint it, BIG SKY would become big sky and MONTANA would become montana, eh?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote