Thread: Fender Skirts
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge4d View Post
While on our Spring Break trip from Houston to Grand Canyon the driver's side fender skirts started coming off on our 2018 3731FL. This just the latest in a long list of quality issues we've had. Anyone had any luck finding replacements that don't cost >$150?
We lost part of our left side on our last trip. I only found one place with replacements unless you want to go with something totally generic. Even the one I ordered wasn't a perfect fit, so you will end up redrilling some of your anchor holes. You'll probably have some of your original holes that the skirt anchors to that have worn larger than the screws anyway, so you'll have to figure out a new way to anchor the new skirt.

If you're skirts are still in one piece and/or you took them off before they broke, I'd reuse them. I bought some 1/8"x3/4"x3' aluminum strips and new #8 screws at Lowes, predrilled holes, and used 2" pieces of the aluminum as backing/anchoring behind the thin metal that the skirts were originally anchored to. I used longer pieces on the top where the wholes line up to further reinforce the thin material to, hopefully, cut down on the flopping.

You'll also find that the open ends where the skirt is cut are not supported very well. I bent some of aluminum and attached it to the rig and the skirt to stabilize the open ends.

I've also heard/seen others that have used small bolts with larger washers on the back side instead of screws.

If you order a new skirt, it will come as one piece. I assume dealers have casts that they can use to cut them. But I'm DYI ... I found a body shop in town that would cut it for me. It wasn't perfect, but they didn't ruin it either.

I haven't taken it out on the road yet, so don't know if it will reduce the flopping or not.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote