View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Hmmm, The thing that comes into play these days is not so much the Diesel brand as what it communicates with, the tranny. As the big three continue to refine this weak link (Ford Torque shift, Chevy Allison, and Dodge ???) they are converging on equality...JMHO.
Just an fyi, noneck, the new Dodge 6-speed automatic is an "Orion 68RFE", or probably just Orion. There is also an Aisin but I don't think that applies to many, if any, Montana tuggers.

The only magazine test I have read that had information comparing the Ford TorqShift and the GM Allison rated them about equal but preferred the Ford because it was smarter about when to shift and seem to be a bit more robust in build. Both are proven in durability. Don't shoot me, that's just what those guys said. Having towed with the Ford, I agree it's an excellent transmission. Now, having towed with the new Dodge automatic, I have to say it tops them all, at least in my opinion and I know not everyone will agree. What we don't know about yet is durability but it is looking really good so far.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote