View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim n Vicki

Okay please educate me....you say when the toilet "burps" - you empty, others have said when it gurgles....

Our blackwater indicator does not work, the others work fine, so I have waited for the "gurgle" but really don't know what I am waiting for. Does the gurgle come from within the toilet, the pipes or the rig just groaning (just joking on that one...), but I was worried about letting it get tooooooo full - can there be any problems if it gets too full other than the obvious of not flushing?

Vicki
The burping refers to a slight splashback where the water seems to jump just a little before it goes down the pipe. I suspect the tank level has reached to where it covers the vent opening and thus the air being displaced comes up and causes that little splash.

Also, if you listen closely you can hear the sound is deeper when it's time to dump. That's when you flush, the sound you hear is deeper. I can barely tell it. Vicki spots it right away.

We do as Phil and Cathy do. We don't even use the sensors other than for the fresh water tank. I like to run with 2/3 tank of fresh water so when filling that tank I watch the sensor and stop when the 2/3 light is lit.

As for draining the water heater after every trip, I'm not sure why this is done. I did that our first couple of seasons and had a fulltimer ask me why. I didn't have a reason other than I thought it was probably a good thing. Later I found I only need to drain the water heater when winterizing at the end of the season. But, whatever one feels is best is what should be done.

Same with the fresh water tank. I've found our water stays good for six months without fail. Back in the weekending days when I drained after each trip, I had to sanitize the tank sometime during the season. When I started leaving a half or more tank of water in there I didn't have that problem. We fulltimed with the prior Montana for over three years and with this one over three years and the tank has never been fully empty (except during drain/refill) and I've not had to sanitize even once. I have no scientific basis as to why it works but it seems to be working just fine for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote