View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Bingo?
Assuming that Ozz is not declaring a possible victory at a game of chance, I feel compelled to provide my two cents worth here. I personally do not think there should be any difference in changing a tire, regardless of the circumstances. Basic safety rules should always be followed. Therefore, my take on the proper way to change a tire from a safety aspect is that the frame must be supported in a safe manner. I carry crib blocks with me all the time and a bottle jack. Regardless of how the fifth wheel is raised (Level-ups or jacks), I cannot in good conscience recommend any method of tire removal unless the frame is supported and the rig is immobilized. I will only add that, in my opinion, previous posts have correctly addressed the weight safety issued related to the use of a "trailer aid" type ramp. We are getting our first rig with the Level-up system and if I have a flat, I would have no problem raising the rig with the system since the system is more than sufficient to hold the weight. I will still put my crib blocks under the frame for the simple reason that the best systems can fail. The best example I can give relates to the mining industry. Would a mechanic attempt any kind of a repair on a truck bed or dozer blade that is only supported by the hydraulic system of the truck or dozer itself. The answer should be a firm and resounding no! Anything supported by hydraulic or electric means should be cribbed and immobilized (wheel chocks). I think the Lippert statement provided is nothing more than a legal disclaimer, but I believe in essence, it is correct. The Level-up system should not be used as the sole method of support (purely from a redundant safety measure). The above is only presented as food for thought but it does represent my opinion of which to me is a strong opinion since it involves safety and a potential situation that can cause injury or worse. With all that said, (and I apologize for the length), you are free to rationalize any method that you elect to, but at least give the safety aspects of what you are doing a long, serious thought!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote