View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Permanent magnet DC motors like what drive your landing gear or operate your slide pumps are somewhat unique in how they change rotation. You'll notice only 2 wires going to the motor, also note the motor is NOT grounded thru its frame. In one direction the red wire is + (power) and the black wire is - (ground). In the reverse direction the red wire is - (ground) and the black wire is + (power). Some of the electricians in this forum will have to help me out on how to wire a couple of SPDT relays to do the same as the polarity reversing relay I am using.
emhcfarl: There is no factory relay in your current landing gear circuit ... just a unique 30 amp switch that reverses polarity protected by a buss fuse. As I mentioned in my post, you can't continue to use your factory switch with a wired remote as the additional reversing relay can backfeed 12 volts + directly to ground. Any removable plug I could forsee would have to have 3 wires. Power in / output 1 / output 2.
Bob: Just remember to use a polarity reversing relay circuit with whatever pendant you go with. The switches in about any pendant will not hold up to the amperage needed to run the jack motor nor will they reverse the motor by themselves.
On edit: db-starter-alternator.com is where I bought my relay. I have no affiliation with them, I just Googled what I was looking for and they were one of the hits.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote