View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Had a most unpleasant similar experience last week. We are full timers, and were in CA for almost 6 months due to work stuff..when we got there, I called Direct Tv and discussed the local channel option. "Sure, no problem...just change your billing address to the CA address" We did, and for about $5 month, we got the local LA channels, including PBS and lots more, for 6 months. He also told us that all we had to do was change the billing address as we traveled, and we could get "local" channels based on our "new" biling address. We get our DTV bil;ling statement via Internet anyhow, and pay the same way, so no big deal as to the "address"

Came to the Phoenix area in Feb...called DTV and said "here is my new billing address. Switch the local channels to Phoenix, por favor" No way, says she....I'm registered with them as an RV installation, and you can only have the local channels from your RV REGISTRATION LOCATION. FCC Regulation!" Now, Sioux Falls SD "spot" broadcasts won't get to the Phoenix area, for sure. So, we had a good deal for 6 months because one of their reps was a "good guy" and let us do it. The one who didn't let us extend it to Phoenix was correct....but it shouldn't be that way..FCC needs to change that rule....serves no legit purpose.

On the good side, we use, and really like, the simultaneous East Coast / West Coast feeds. Great deal..we can watch the major network stuff early or late, our choice. Watch the same program twice, if you want to! Local stuff comes via rooftop antenna or local RV park cable, if they have it, so you usually have a choice of three differnt times to catch your shows each day/evening, assuming you aren't on either Coast.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote