View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #29
pddiver1

M.O.C. #9606
Learn from my life with a 2004 6.0 F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I have a 2005 F250 6.0 with 150,000 miles on it. Purchased from original (purchased new in 2005) owner 3 years ago, had 115,000 at that time. Also purchased his Montana.

He kept a log with every repair and maintenance. Changed oil every 3,0000 miles, and then switched to synthetic, changing every 5,000. All other maintenance by the book. One small warranty item, and the the turbo replaced at 105,000. I recently had oil analysis, engine internals great.

I was looking at new (used) F350. Would have to spend $40,000+ to get one. Decided to get bulletproofed for $8,500. Included Bulletproof EGR cooler and water pump. OEM oil cooler, stand pipes, dummy plugs, new injectors, new shocks. Within prior 6 months, had transmission rebuilt, new alternator, batteries, new tires, pads, rotors, and calipers.

Almost like a new truck, but it isn't. I'm way ahead financially, even if I have other repairs in the future. I'm in California, so no rust issues.
Ditto here in Colorado
I have a 2004 F350 purchased from original owner in 2009.
I have had the honor or replacing Oil pump, 2 Turbo chargers, 5 alternators, ficm, and many other parts. I have an Edge computer that was on the truck but I only use it to watch temps and such and never use the programs.
The truck always ran hot when towing 2011 (347THT) on any hill and eventually had issues with fuel injectors so had them all replaced but still had issues.
About three years ago I had the truck Bullet Proofed and replaced the heads, bolts, egr, oil cooler bypass. I have had no issues since having the truck Bullet Proofed which I should have had done long before but the mechanics always seemed to believe they had the issues fixed each time. Boy did I waste lots of $$ before doing the Bullet Proofing. Although I did have to finally replace the transmission and radiator two years ago. I baby this truck as it's not cheap.

Over the last 9 years I have spent well over 25K on this truck because each time I thought.......I know what I have fixed and what else could go wrong....it's cheaper than buying a new truck. Of course that was until the next issue.....well rinse and repeat and here I am 9 years later.

If you have the truck and have issues, get it Bullet Proofed, if you are looking at the truck.....look elsewhere.

I am invested in this truck and have had may compliments on it but if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't currently have this truck.
Your mileage may vary but I can tell you I follow this trucks issues online ever since I have started having issues (2010) and the lack of a proper Oil cooling design causing excessive heat kills this engine.
pddiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote