View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wild Willy,

Like I said if the timing works out for you.

The route we use to avoid the Los Angeles area is as follows:

As you are headed west on I-10 at exit 45 take the Vicksburg Rd. north. About 10 miles later you will intersect hwy 60. There is a nice "family" type restaurant there. It is the KOFA Cafe. Big parking lot if you're pulling a trailer.

Keep going north until you come to hwy 72. Turn left (West). This road will change to hwys 72 and 95. This will take you to Parker, AZ. Parker is the border crossing into CA. Keep headed west on this road. When you cross into CA it changes to hwy 62. At the CA Agricultural check station at highway 95 head north. This is Vidal Junction. About 50 miles north you will come to Needles, CA. and I-40. Take I-40 west.

At Barstow take Hwy 58. This will take you to Mojave then Tehachapi and finally into Bakersfield. From Bakersfield you can continue west an hit I-5. Or you can just continue north on hwy 99.

We normally go north on hwy 99 to hwy 46 and cross over to I-5.

All the routes I've indicated are at least good two lane highways or are Interstate Freeways. Probably the section with most dips is the section of hwy 95 between Vidal Junction and Needles. And that section of road can have a bit of traffic on it. But even so it moves along at a good clip.

The biggest grade you'll have going up is at Tehachapi and it is not nearly as steep as the Grapevine! Then you've got a lot of downhill into Bakersfield.

The overall traffic on the route I've outlined is significantly less than taking I-10 to I-5.

Good luck and again let us know if you need the overnight in Bakersfield. Also if you need any other info or assistance in or general area just let us know. We'll do what we can to help.

Travel safely.

HamRad (Dennis and Mary Kay)
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote