View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Well, I gave Mor/Ryde a call today and asked if it was OK to use an EZ Jack on their Mor/Ryde RE suspension.

He told me it would be best to jack the rig up using the frame, and that using a jack directly on the axle could damage it, as the axle was just a fairly thin tube. At that point, I realized that he had no clue what the EZ Jack was, ....or how it worked.

I described, to the best of my ability, what it was and how it worked. He then said that he could see no reason why it would not be OK.

I think that I will attempt to get this in writing from them at this point. I still am not convinced that putting half of the 5ers wheel weight on one axle and leaf spring is safe for the rubber components, or even safe for the axle itself.

Bear with me here, while I cogitate this through.

My thinking here is that each end of each axle (each wheel essentially) is designed to carry 3,500 lbs, given a 5er with two 7,000lb axles. Then, hypothetically figuring said 5er at 15,500 lbs. with a 2,500 lb. pin weight, that leaves 13,000 lbs. on the wheels. Assuming the weight is distributed evenly between all four wheels would make 6,500 lbs. on each side of the 5er. So, when you roll up on the EZ Jack, you are putting 6,500 lbs. on one half, (3,500 lbs. of a 7,000 lb. axle) of the axle, and on one tire that is rated to 3,420 lbs. That is roughly 3,000 lbs over the rating of both the tire, and the axle. I realize that there is some fudge factor designed into the weight ratings, but I'm also pretty sure it is not an 86% fudge factor.

Your thoughts on this please.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote