View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #75
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjrn View Post
Before joining MOC, I just simply trusted my RV dealer to tell me, yes your truck can pull it, guess I was just plain stupid and naive. I’ve had a 2011 Chevy HD2500 LT with the Duramax. So for the past 8 years I’ve towed a 40’ Jayco Premier 5th wheel and for the past year plus our new Montana 3121RL. We’ve towed through all sorts of weather and terrain from 20F degrees through 100F plus and from the flat lands of Ohio to the mountains of TN, KY, & NC of which I’ve never had an issue. A couple months ago looking to a new truck I started with all of the big 3, It was easy to rule out the Ram, I just don’t care for how it looks, I know that’s not a highly technical reason but it was mine. I truly loved the Ford and worked hard to buy it first but it came down to money, an equally equipped Chevy was easily $6-$7,000 cheaper. So being retired the decision was easy and I ended up with a 2019 leftover 3500HD LTZ. My only reason for even purchasing a new truck was I wanted additional safety features and luxury looking ahead to much more travel since retiring. Reading through all the experts it scares me, have I just been lucky???? I’ve never had my camper nor truck on a scale, I’ve never calculated my weight nor my wife’s, nor have I ever calculated the weight of my diesel fuel in the equation, Wow, I’ve come to the conclusion and realization that I’ve been totally ignorant, lucky to be alive, and obviously living under a lucky star. I’m feeling very blessed that I survived towing my campers so many thousands of miles without my truck falling apart and leaving me stranded. Guess I’d better get to the scales soon!
You are not ignorant or lucky, just obviously blind! Did you not see all the 3/4 tons or SRW 1tons weaving along the Hiway due to instability? Why even a slight breeze will blow them into oncoming traffic. You didn't notice all of them alongside the road with broken frames, even though they are the same? Didn't see any blowing through traffic lights due to poor brakes, even though they are the same and the 3/4 tons weighs less? Apparently the laws of physics do not apply when it comes to fifth wheels. DISCLAIMER you should not tow over the the manufactors suggested limits and you should not run with scissors.