Thread: Awning question
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I just helped to change fabric on an electric Dometic awning last weekend. We wound the spring the wrong direction the first attempt. Watch a couple You Tube videos. It isn't that hard...just be careful. It is a 2-man job

First, open the awning so the top of the arms about about 1 foot away from the trailer. You will need to put a stout pin through the rear spring assembly to keep the spring from unwinding. Then disconnect both front and rear assemblies from the awning arm and unfurl the awning then rewind the correct direction. Reattach the motor end to the arm. Firmly attach vice grips to the tab on the rear spring end and hold on while removing the pin. Help the spring to unwind (if it's wound backwards it will want to unwind clockwise which means that the tension was set counter-clockwise)

Since the motor is on the front end of the awning, starting with a relaxed/unwound spring and the arms in a near upright position, you will likely need to wind the rear spring clockwise about 10 turns. Brand specific direction may give an exact number of turns.

These are generic directions and may have some differences depending on brand and how the motor is attached. Do your research first. Good luck...just be careful. The spring will hurt you if you're not (ask me how I know)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.png
Views:	59
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	3695  
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote