Thread: 3820 purchase
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Mike - I wasn't implying maintenance form the repair standpoint is easier, I took it as the general upkeep type maintenance. I agree, a trip hardly goes by that doesn't involve tightening some nut, bolt, screw, etc or doing quick checks to see if that new creak or groan you hear isn't something bigger.

It comes down to how handy you are or are willing to become. This forum and other sources online are a great data point to do things yourself. A key is to not get behind on any of it. Work the upkeep into your normal routine, develop a pre-trip and post-trip checklist/routing of items you check. Set aside a little bit of time each trip to take care of something planned or unexpected. To do this, you'll develop a set of must have tools and items to take (keep this small to avoid the weight) and then bring the extra items for a trip if you have a project to do. When you are working on your rig at the campground, you'll be surprised how much free help you'll get and you may learn some new tricks along the way.

Also, checklist in general are great for packing, setup, tear down, etc. The more organized you are on the aspects that apply to every trip, the easier it becomes and more consistent it becomes. We have several laminated sheets for checklists, how to control our solar/power setup, clearer breaker panel markings, etc. We also make food/meal lists to ensure we have what we need and minimize the need to go to camp stores or trips to the local places for that one thing. I'm sure this is in part from 10+ years as a boy scout leader and throw in being an engineer that adds the attention to being detailed (my DW my say obsessive LOL).

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote